The holidays are upon us and now is the perfect time to plan a holiday themed live stream. A seasonal stream not only gives you the opportunity to shake up your content, it’s the perfect chance to create engaging, memorable moments for your viewers. Who knows? Maybe this year’s holiday stream will be the start of a tradition for your channel. Whether you’re a gamer, crafter, musician, or a streamer-of-all-trades, our list of holiday stream ideas is sure to inspire you. Don’t forget to use a holiday overlay for an extra special touch!
Holiday Stream Events to Try
- Stream a holiday themed game - check out our article on cozy holiday games for ideas!
- Participate in an in-game holiday event - games like Fortnite, Valorant, Disney Dreamlight Valley, Animal Crossing, Overcooked, etc. all have themed events.
- Dress up your character - if your game allows, outfit your character in festive garb.
- Host a charity stream - the holidays are the perfect time to give back. We’ll show you how with Streamlabs Charity.
- Decorate a gingerbread house - have a friend or family member join and let your chat choose the winner.
- Dress up in a festive costume - stream your usual content in an ugly Christmas sweater or a jaunty hat.
- Have a holiday storytime - talk about your family’s holiday traditions.
- Decorate your tree - let your chat choose which ornaments go where.
- Wrap presents - bonus points if you’re good at wrapping and can give tips.
- Share your Christmas list - who knows, maybe a generous viewer will grant your Christmas wish!
- Give advice for good holiday gifts - break gift ideas into categories like games, hardware, books, etc.
- Host a virtual holiday party - use Streamlabs Collab Cam to have your friends on your stream!
- Create your own holiday bingo or trivia game - you can even let winners receive free merch if you host a giveaway with Streamlabs.
- Open your presents on stream - because receiving gifts is always more fun when people are watching.
- Put together a holiday puzzle - ask the chat for help with pieces if you get stuck!
- Host a holiday Watch Party - check out our article on how to host a Twitch Watch Party to learn more!
- Look at Christmas lights - if you’ve got the equipment to stream outside, take your viewers on a tour of decorated houses (take all precautions to avoid doxxing yourself).
- Share holiday makeup tips - help your viewers slay their next holiday event.
- Try holiday nail art - paint your claws with festive design.
Makers and Crafting
- Knit a Christmas jumper - or crochet—crafter’s choice!
- Craft an ugly holiday sweater - visit your local craft store beforehand to grab pompoms, puffy paint, tinsel, felt, and more.
- Create handmade ornaments - knit, crochet, sew, or use good old fashioned cinnamon sticks and glue.
- Crochet holiday themed amigurumi - craft a kawaii Claus, reindeer, dreidel, etc.
- Sew your holiday outfit - let your chat help you design the perfect getup so you can arrive at your office party or family function in style.
- Craft holiday decorations from clay - polymer, paper, dough, etc. The world is your oyster when it comes to clay decorations.
- Make a holiday themed cross stitch - embroidery, punch needle, quilting, and applique are great needle crafts too.
- Make handmade gifts - regardless of what craft you choose, your chat will enjoy watching you create.
- Try a craft you’ve never done before but make it holiday themed!
- Try holiday themed diamond art - many creatives swear by this cozy craft.
- Sing Christmas carols - be mindful of copyright violations and check public domain info before streaming.
- Write your own holiday song - no need to worry about copyright issues if the words are your own!
- Change the lyrics of your favorite holiday music - funny lyrics are always a hit.
- Try Christmas themed ASMR - use holiday items like pinecones, bells, wrapping paper, etc.
- Draw or paint a winter scene - digital or traditional—artist’s choice!
- Play holiday Pictionary with your chat - draw holiday movies, traditions, etc. and let winners receive merch.
- Make holiday fanart - draw your favorite character in a cozy Christmas sweater or other festive outfit.
Food and Drink
- Bake and decorate Christmas cookies - show your chat what you’re planning to leave out for Santa.
- Make seasonal cocktails - teach your viewers how to whip up a few holiday spirits (or mocktails!) so they’ll be a hit at their next gathering.
- Make a gingerbread house using non-traditional food items (meat and cheese house anyone?).
- Start your holiday food prep - prepare for your holiday gathering with the help of your chat.
- Host a potluck - invite your friends and family (provided they aren’t camera shy) to join the party.
- Prepare your favorite holiday dish - and teach your viewers how to make it.
Tips for a Successful Stream
Though the holidays are pretty much here, you still have time to plan accordingly for your festive stream. You can check out our streaming checklist for a comprehensive guide of what to do before, during, and after your stream. In general, make sure you have your overlay and scenes set up, any necessary devices charged, game and streaming software updated, and any materials (crafting items, ingredients, etc.) at the ready.
To ensure the best possible turnout, promote your holiday stream across all of your social media platforms. Whether you’re giving your followers a week’s notice or 24 hours, hype up your stream and let people know when and where to find it.
People are very generous during the holidays. Whether you’re raising money for a good cause or simply looking to increase your follower or subscriber count, add a ticker to your stream. A Streamlabs goal widget or the ever-popular tip jar are essential accessories for your holiday stream.
We all know how hard it can be to keep talking on stream. A holiday stream gives you an opportunity to have meaningful interactions with your chat by asking them about their holiday traditions, what they want for Christmas, etc. This time of year can be rough for some people, so show your viewers a little extra love.
Whether you’re approaching the holiday season with Buddy the Elf-like enthusiasm or feeling a little bit Grinchy, a seasonal stream can be a great way to shake things up on your channel. Hopefully our list of ideas inspired you to try something new. We hope you enjoy a safe and happy holiday stream!