“I was ready to give birth at home, when the pain became unbearable, but I tried to hold on because we couldn’t afford to pay for hospital care,” remembers Dora, as she went into labor with twin girls in Yemen, home to the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.
“I felt powerless… I looked around but it was too dark to see who had done this to me. I ran back home very scared – my family was still fast asleep,” said Khadijo, an 11-year-old girl who was attacked by a man in the settlement camp where her family had found shelter from Somalia’s relentless drought and hunger crisis.
“Before we didn't know how to plan... I don’t want any more children. It has been very difficult,” explained Emilsa, an Indigenous Ngäbe woman from Costa Rica and a mother of 6 children between the ages of 3 and 12.
Here at UNFPA, the United Nations lead sexual and reproductive health and rights agency, these are situations we respond to every day to ensure every woman and girl has the lifesaving care she needs to thrive, no matter what. We are on a mission to deliver a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe, and every woman and girl can reach her fullest potential, including in the world’s most dire emergencies. You can join us and deliver lifesaving care here.
This is a critical time for reproductive rights. With reproductive freedoms under threat around the world, this work is incredibly urgent. In fact:
- 218 million women and girls who want to avoid pregnancy are unable to access safe and modern contraceptives. Every year, this results in 121 million women and girls who become pregnant before they’re ready.
- Every two minutes, a woman or girl needlessly dies of pregnancy or childbirth complications and the majority of these deaths occur in crisis settings. And, globally, complications from pregnancy and childbirth are the leading cause of death for teenage girls.
- 1 in 3 women will experience physical or sexual violence in her lifetime, many as children. Every day, more than 30,000 girls become child brides.
The ability to make decisions for one’s body, health, and future is so fundamental. And, with supporters like you, we can be a crucial lifeline to countless women and girls, like Dora, Khadijo, and Emilsa.
Start a USA for UNFPA Fundraising Campaign on Streamlabs Charity
Because of our community, Dora survived childbirth and is now a mom to two beautiful baby girls. Khadijo received legal aid mental health counseling for survivors of sexual violence and, today, she is hopeful that her rapist will be served justice. And Emilsa accessed injectable contraceptives and is now able to plan her family—and her future—on her own terms.
We have had an incredible impact on the lives of millions of women and girls. In 2021 alone we:
- Provided 13.3 million individuals with quality, modern contraceptives.
- Safely delivered 1.5 million babies in emergency settings and prevented 39,000 women from dying during childbirth.
- Reached 3 million girls with child marriage prevention or protection services.
- Supported 2,200 mobile health clinics in humanitarian emergencies, like Ukraine, Yemen, Afghanistan, and more.
But, none of this work is possible without supporters like you. The best way to support women and girls is with a monthly donation.
- $45/month will deliver one mama kit to a new mom in need of supplies to care for herself and her newborn in those precious first months of life.
- $15/month will deliver one dignity kit to a woman or girl, so she has the personal care products she needs to manage her period.
- $5/month will deliver one emergency birth kit to a pregnant woman surviving a humanitarian crisis.
Even if you can’t commit to a monthly donation right now, please know that every single dollar helps women and girls around the world. Thank you for being a partner in this critical mission!
Learn more about our work and how you can support women and girls:
- Rush a gift to women and girls
- About reproductive health
- About USA for UNFPA
- Receive the latest updates on global reproductive health
- Hear from women and girls by following us on social media
USA for UNFPA themed Overlays and Alerts
- Download the Overlays and Alerts for Streamlabs Desktop
- Add the Charity Alerts & Goal Widget into other Broadcasting software
- Start a fundraiser or donate to USA for UNFPA using Streamlabs Charity