The Erika Legacy Foundation is a community of hope creators and status quo disruptors who want to change the way our communities think, talk and act on the issues regarding suicide and mental health.
In 2015, Erika Elkington died by suicide, one month before her 30th birthday. This foundation was created by Erika’s family and friends in 2016. It will stand as a legacy to the person Erika was. Our main areas of focus are: fundraising, partnering and strengthening the brain research and suicide prevention community.
Our simple mission is:
- Increasing awareness of suicide and the impact it has on our societies.
- Support research and study the social, personal and scientific conditions that lead to suicide using those findings to implement effective approaches to suicide prevention.
- Inspiring hope, resiliency and a reason for living.
Achieving this by focusing on our core approach ( The 3 P’s ). Supporting researchers, scientists, emerging technologies and initiatives that are:
- Proactive : Such as our programs such as our WE WELL-BEING educational programming that is being accessed by over 130,000 Educators and over 2 Million students in grades 3-12 yearly in North America currently
- Predictive: By harnessing emerging technologies and artificial intelligence to spot when a person is in crisis and then give them the tools and help needed to change their path
- Preventative: By partnering with leading researchers who study neuroscience, sociology and psychology. Using those findings to create highly engaging resources with trusted professionals that speed access to help.
When you fundraise with The Erika Legacy Foundation, you impact youth, adults, families and communities locally and across North America.
Through collaboration with experts, survivors and leaders in the space, our proactive approach is built on evidence-based prevention and promotion strategies, designed to build a foundation of awareness, understanding and taking action.
Here are some of the ways your fundraising/donation can create meaningful change:
$10 Your donation will fund 2 crisis phone calls that come into The Erika Legacy Foundation. The person calling will talk to a trained helper who will guide them to resources and information to keep them safe and find them immediate help in their area in their time of need.
$20 Provides 1 person with a full year’s worth of daily Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)–based text messages written by mental health specialists.
$25 With this donation 1 Youth gets mental health Education and resources for a COMPLETE YEAR delivered right in their classroom!
$50 A teacher will get full support and professional development for a YEAR to not only teach mental health to their students but also take care of their own mental health.
$100 will help fund The Erika Legacy Foundation to create virtual spaces of wellness and compassion online.
It has been shown that virtual therapies, defined as therapy delivered remotely with the use of a VR headset, phone or computer system, may be a viable option to replace in-person therapy in situations where in-person therapy is not possible or where the person in need feels stigmatized.
$250 Allows us to create free resources and build a library on erikalegacy.com to help people with: Anxiety, Depression, Imposter Syndrome, Suicidal thought, Panic Attacks, Self Harm, Sleep, Mindfulness and more.
$500 1 Full class of 25 students gets mental health and suicide prevention resources for 1 whole year!
$1000 funds a group of 4 to access a 10-week role-playing session, run by a therapeutic game master focusing on the 6 spheres of life. Using the Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (CAT) model, it encourages people to embrace their thoughts and feelings rather than fighting of feeling guilty for them.
We love being part of campaigns, our staff, board and members of our growing community love supporting streamers and content creators. By starting a campaign on Streamlabs Charity and promoting our mission to your audience, you can join the growing community of change-makers who live to inspire!