One Tree Planted is an environmental nonprofit that is dedicated to making it simple for anyone to help the environment by planting trees. Our projects span the globe and are done in partnership with local communities and knowledgeable experts to create an impact for nature, people, and wildlife.
Planting trees is just one piece within the larger mosaic of action needed, but from restoring old-growth forests to empowering rural smallholder farmers with life-changing sustainable agroforestry trees, we have seen the incredible things that we can accomplish when we are working together towards a shared cause.
Reforestation helps to restore forests that have been degraded by human activities or environmental disasters, provide jobs for social impact, and restore biodiversity habitat. Many projects have overlapping objectives, creating a combination of benefits that contribute to the UN's Sustainable Development Goals.
The benefits of reforestation include:
- Restoring ecosystems that have been degraded by human and climate change impacts.
- Providing powerful social impacts that change lives for the better.
- Rebuilding critical habitat for threatened and endangered species.
- Protecting watersheds that provide critical drinking water resources.
- Improving air quality by filtering harmful pollutants and releasing breathable oxygen.
- Absorbing carbon dioxide and storing it in their biomass and soils.
Every planting project has its own unique challenges and opportunities, but what holds true no matter where you go is that when done correctly, reforestation transforms landscapes, habitats, and communities
So how do we plant a tree for just $1? The answer is different for every project we support, but the simplest answer is that we don’t do it alone. Typically, One Tree Planted will cover the cost of the seed/seedlings at a minimum, plus everything else that we can within our model.
Every One Tree Planted project begins with a detailed proposal from a local planting partner, which lays out where, why and how the trees are being planted. Each project also has a budget, which breaks down the primary costs that are covered by us.
At a glance, these are:
* Seed/seedlings (typically $0.30 to $0.80 per tree)
* Site preparation & planting (typically $0.20 to $0.50 per tree)
* Equipment & materials (typically $0.05 to $0.20 per tree)
* Site monitoring & maintenance for 3 years (typically $0.30 to $1 per tree)
These costs vary depending on the type of project and location — and often, the total budget that is required will amount to more than $1 per tree. When we can’t fund everything that is required for a successful tree planting project, we use a blended finance model to ensure success. Planting trees isn't a one and done process — and the more of us that are invested in a project, the more successful it will be over the long-term.
In the face of the climate crisis, which can feel overwhelming, planting a tree is a simple action that anyone can take — and it is a powerful demonstration of hope in action. There is much work still to be done, but here at One Tree Planted, we believe that the future is bright — and green! If you would like to learn more about our work, visit us at onetreeplanted.org