Be part of LGBT Youth Scotland’s story
It's been 50 years since the first UK Pride. Despite a lot of progress, young people tell us that it is still tough to be LGBTI in Scotland in 2022. We don’t think that’s good enough and we need your help to change that story.
By fundraising for LGBT Youth Scotland this Pride, you are supporting Scotland’s national youth work charity for LGBTI young people, helping us to make this the best place for LGBTI young people to grow up by giving them safe and supportive spaces in which they can flourish.
We exist to support LGBTI young people through our direct youth work services and digital support such as live chat, email, and text support. Our youth groups provide safe spaces and a community for young people all across the country. We currently run over 30 in-person and online groups via our award-winning online community server on Discord, Pride & Pixels. Our friendly and experienced youth workers also offer one-to-one coaching both in-person and online.
LGBTI young people tell us that they face barriers to achieving their full potential but with support from individuals, community groups, and businesses we are able to support more than 2,000 individuals each year helping them to effect positive change in their own lives.
We also work towards systemic change by delivering the LGBT Charter to Scottish schools, making them safe, LGBTI-inclusive spaces for all young people as well as for businesses and other organizations.
Another focus of our work is to amplify the voices of young people directly to policy-makers and those with the most influence through our Youth Participation work. We run a number of projects which put young people's voices front and center around issues including trans rights and trans health care, climate change, and mental health. Every 5 years we also conduct and publish ‘Life in Scotland for LGBTI young people’ – a comprehensive research report and the largest of its kind highlighting the issues faced by LGBTI young people in Scotland. The latest report was published in April 2022 and is available here.
Your support and fundraising mean we can reach more LGBTI young people, support them to feel more resilient and more connected to their community, and open up a world of positive opportunities. This is the impact you can help make:
• 52% of young people felt that their involvement with LGBT Youth Scotland's services in the past 12 months had increased their confidence at school or in applying for education, training or work.
• 79% of young people felt that LGBT Youth Scotland's services have helped them to make new friends and feel part of a community.
• 68% of young people felt that LGBT Youth Scotland's services have helped them feel more confident in their personal relationships.
• 65% of young people felt that LGBT Youth Scotland's services have helped them feel more optimistic about their future.
– Youth Work Survey 2021
“LGBT Youth Scotland has literally changed my life over the last year. I reached out at a time when I was feeling really alone and depressed and whilst I still struggle, I know there are people there who I can talk to now. LGBT Youth Scotland has greatly improved my life, I have friends now that I didn’t have before and a more positive outlook on life and the future.”
– Sam, young person
Thank you for being #partofthestory and showing thousands of young people like Sam that they matter and that they have all of our support to reach their full potential.
More info at: https://lgbtyouth.org.uk/partofthestory
- Learn more about LGBT Youth Scotland
- Start fundraising for LGBT Youth Scotland using Streamlabs Charity
- Download the free Overlays for Streamlabs Desktop
- Install the matching Charity Alerts in Streamlabs Desktop
- Grab the Alerts for use in other broadcasting software