Charity Streaming Bonus
Fundraise for charity and make a difference
We’ve talked about how to network with your peers and engage with your viewer community in the past few chapters, but what about the larger community? As a creator, you have the influence and ability to make a real difference. One of the best ways to do so is to start a live stream for charity.
The rise of live streaming has given charities new ways to raise money. It is now common for charities to partner with streamers to collect donations from thousands of loyal viewers. Charity streaming is so popular that Twitch has raised over $75 million for various organizations since 2012.
Tips for Charity Streaming
- Create a campaign. Create campaigns directly with your charity of choice or through a platform like Tiltify or Streamlabs. By creating a campaign, you can give viewers the confidence they need to know where their funds are going and allow them to receive the appropriate tax-exemption letters.
- Create a team. Charity streaming can be a great way to collaborate with your fellow peers and raise money for a good cause. Fundraising is a fundamentally social activity, and when more people can participate in the event it will be more fun, and more impactful. In fact, the largest live stream fundraisers of all time have all been team events.
- Promote your event. Make sure to promote your event across all your social media platforms in advance and share any incentives you have for donations.
- Start early. Go live just a little before the official start time of your event to warm up, get settled in, and give viewers a chance to join before the action starts. This is especially useful when you’re doing collaborative fundraising.
How to Start Your First Charity Live Stream
Starting a live stream fundraising event on Twitch, YouTube or Facebook is a simple process with Streamlabs.
- Create an account.
- Make a list of streamers you would be interested in working with.
- Come up with ideas or concepts for potential collaborations.
- Follow and engage with streamers on their channels.
- Reach out to them and propose a collaboration.
Create an account
Before you start fundraising, you must first create a new Streamlabs Charity Account. To create an account, enter a username, email, and password and sign up. Alternatively, you can sign up with your Twitch, Facebook or YouTube account.
After you sign up, you’ll receive our welcome email to verify your email and allow you to start your first campaign. When you sign up with your social login, you will need to make sure your Twitch/Facebook/YouTube account’s email is verified.
Start a campaign
Once you have browsed our selection of registered charities, you can click on the "Fundraise" button to start your charity campaign.
You will now be able to name your campaign, add a description, select the date you’d like your campaign to go live, and set a donation goal.
After you’ve successfully entered your information, click on "Create Campaign."
You will then be taken to your profile page to view and manage every charity campaign you’ve scheduled.
When you are ready for your charity fundraising event to go live, click "Publish."
You can also invite others to join your fundraising campaign and share a donation page, stream alerts, donation goal, and leaderboard.
To invite team members, just click on the invite icon.
Fill out your team’s fundraising details and set the team as Public or Private. If you set the team to Public, anyone will be able to join, but if it’s private only the people you invite by email will be able to join.
Once your team is created and you’ve linked your Streamlabs.com account, everyone on your team will be able to share a team donation goal overlay, and donation alerts.
Share your charity tip page
After you’ve published your campaign, you will see your charity tip page, where viewers can donate to your campaign and view the total fundraising goal. Don’t forget to share your tip page!
Want charity stream alerts? Link your Streamlabs account to any published campaign.
Head to the dashboard on Streamlabs.com and view your integration settings. Link your Streamlabs Charity Account, and you’ll now be able to customize charity alerts in the alert box settings.
Now you are ready for your first charity stream!